Talk to France !
Hello, my name is France Barral, and I am honored to run for the Granite School District (GSD) board, precinct 1.
After having volunteered in many capacities in our kids’ schools, I am now very excited at the prospect of serving the GSD as a board member.
The Granite School District is the 3rd largest in Utah, and it does a phenomenal job at serving our various communities. But there are tough challenges ahead, and I will bring my experience in grassroots work, business, finance, and leadership to the board. My business experience will be particularly valuable when providing oversight to a district in which the operating budget is well over half a billion dollars in funds annually.
Here are the values that will guide all my decisions on the school board: caring, equity, inclusion and fairness.
I also promise to exercise critical thinking and listen to all points of view when making decisions.
My leadership style is collaborative, as my endorsements attest.
I am fully behind the Granite School Board’s slogan “from here, anything is possible.”
I love talking to parents, teachers, administrators, neighbors and residents. Just call me any time at 801-842-3836 and tell me what’s on your mind.
Scroll down below to read about my values, my promises and my priorities.
I will be your voice at the district, You have my direct line and my full attention.
”I am running for Granite school board to continue to serve my community. ”
My name is France Barral. I am originally from France (I am not named after my country, but my name is the French equivalent of Frances), and I have lived in Utah since 2001. I am the mother of two beautiful and kind kids, both attending the French dual immersion program at Morningside Elementary, and we love it.
Why would you want me representing you on the Granite School Board ? Please see my experience and volunteer experience below. I bring dedication, passion and a deep sense of service to all that I do.
Education & Professional Experience
- Business degree from Marseilles Business School
- Masters in macro-economics
- CPA Certificate
- Former CEO of VisionFund Senegal
- Currently overseeing 28 organizations’ core banking system needs across the world
- Years of experience in project management, accounting & finance & leadership.
- Former School Community Council member (Morningside)
- Former member Executive Board of the PTA (legislative VP), Morningside
- Currently serving on the GSD District Community Council, representing the Skyline Council
- Currently serving on the PTSA Skyline council (legislative VP)
A quick snapshot of my volunteering accomplishments of the last couple years.
In my various volunteer roles, I participated or spearheaded the following efforts:
- In 2017: implementation of flashing lights on the west side of Morningside in close collaboration with the city of Holladay;
- In 2018, added a clean air monitor and used the health & safety week to educate kids on clean air;
- In 2019, while on the SCC, I recommended that our school purchase a mindfulness program for the classroom and parents, a program that was then successfully deployed.
- With the PTA, I fought for the passing of the GSD bond in 2017 and fought for the referendum on the tax reform of 2019.
- Along with other citizens, I mobilized Millcreek residents to pass a resolution to go to 100% net zero renewable energy by 2032.
Personal & Interests
- Mom to two beautiful and kind kids, both attending the French dual immersion program at Morningside Elementary
- Happily married for 23 years
- We love hiking, mountain biking, going on various adventures, traveling, and watching the full moon.
- We all love to read, enjoy cooking a good meal and the company of friends (now remotely).
Why Granite School District
The story of our involvement in the Granite School District started when our daughter started first grade. We moved to the Granite School District so that we could send her (and later our son) to the French dual-immersion program. This has been a great decision, and we have also encouraged friends to move into the district. I have been involved in Granite school matters ever since the first day of enrollment.
Please donate to my campaign!
Our team needs to print flyers, yard signs and door-hangers. We are committed to grassroots funding and grassroots action and listening carefully to everyone in the community!